Gain a Solid Foundation Certificate in Plant Growth
Develop your ability to describe the principles of plant taxonomy, structure, function and growth, the management of plant health, and plant propagation.
There are 15 lessons in this course:
- Taxonomic Classification of Plants
- Structure and Function of Cells and Tissues
- Role of Flowers and Fruit
- Photosynthesis, Respiration, and Movement of Water
- Effects of Tropisms and Plant Growth Regulators
- Physical Properties of Growing Media
- Chemical Properties of Growing Media and Role of Air and Water
- Biological Processes in Growing Media
- Nutrients and Plant Growth
- Organic Techniques and Soil Management
- Plant Pests, Diseases and Disorders Part A
- Plant Pests, Diseases and Disorders Part B
- Regulation of Chemicals and Storage Procedures
- Seed Propagation
- Vegetative Propagation
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major divisions of the plant kingdom and an understanding of the taxonomic hierarchy and its relevance to horticultural practice.
- Identify and describe the different types of plant cells and tissues, their structure, and function.
- To understand the role and function of the reproductive parts of the plant and the seed in the plant lifecycle.
- Understand the mechanism and role of photosynthesis and respiration in the metabolism of plants, the role of water in the plant, and the movement of water, solutes, and assimilates through the plant.
- To develop an understanding of the effects of tropisms and other plant movements on growth and development.
- Understand the physical properties of growing media and their significance in relation to plant growth.
- To understand basic chemistry of soils and other growing media, and the relationship between their air and water content and plant growth.
- To understand the role of living organisms in the biological processes of soils and other growing media.
- To understand how nutrients affect plant growth and describe a range of fertilisers and their applications.
- To determine appropriate management programs for different soils in horticultural situations.
Course Duration - approximately 200 hours of self-paced study.